Thursday, September 4, 2008

Sarah Palin and the Republican Party

I already had a strong preference for Obama over McCain, but the choice of Sarah Palin for VP and ensuing comments from Republican supporters has me questioning whether the Republican Party has any integrity at all.
McCain's VP choice has some do do with Palin's youth (in contrast to the ancient McCain) and her charisma (former beauty pageant contestants always play well on TV), and the fact she is female seems an attempt to go after disgruntled Hillary supporters (although I can't see how her staunchly pro-life stance will play well with any of them).

But I think the real truth lies in her ties to the religious right (including her belief that God - that's the Christian God, mind you - wants us in Iraq). I'm guessing that's the main reason she was chosen. The religious right continues to exert more and more power over the Republican Party (and the Democrats too - I still can't believe the first televised presidential debate this year was in a friggin' church).

Which is why I will not vote for that party any time soon.

3 comments:

Derek said...

I agree with all of this.

By the way, did you see any of the Saddleback thingee? It wasn't really a debate...the candidates answered the same questions and didn't interact with one another. But still, yeah...in a church. Yeesh.

Philip said...

No, I just read about it. Whether or not is was a proper debate, it was their first appearance in public addressing issues together.

mark said...

Sarah rocks!!!