Friday, December 12, 2008

The Christmas Tree Rant

Following is an email message I received yesterday. It was sent to a group of about 10 of the sender's friends and family, plus me by mistake.

--------------------------------
THIS IS A CHRISTMAS TREE, NOTHING ELSE.

This is NOT a Holiday Tree

[]
This is a Christ mas tree.
It is not a Hanukkah bush,
It is not an Allah plant,
It is not a Kawanza shrub
It is not a Holiday hedge.
It is a Christmas tree.
Say it... CHRIST mas , CHRIST mas , CHRIST mas
Yes. CHRIST mas - celebrating

The Birth of Jesus Christ!!!


Take a stand and pass this on !!

Jesus is the reason for the season... Amen!!!!!
[]
Merry CHRISTmas to You!
[]

--------------------------------

'tis the season for the War on Christmas. It always amazes me how a group comprising 85% of the United States can manage to consider itself maligned by the minority.

I could understand if someone were referring to a nativity scene as a "Hotel Overflow Moment". But, pine trees covered with lights, anthropomorphic snowmen, "squishy winter huggies"" - it's silly to take offense that these don't prompt a "praise Jesus" from the congregation.

Anyway, here's the response I sent. And yes, I selected "Reply All".

--------------------------------

First, I know this wasn't intended for me but I've received it and I'm going to respond. I'm not a Christian - shame on you for trying to make me and others feel like our beliefs are less compatible with this holiday than yours. I don't believe Jesus rose from the dead, but he seemed a decent fellow who never would have engaged in this type of rhetoric.

Second, [my email address] is NOT [RECIPIENT'S NAME]. Please, remove the errant entry from your address books. I'm sure she's a lovely lady who does the Tucker name proud, but I get an unwanted message intended for her about once a month. And think how sad it is that she's missing out on her share of divisive propaganda this holiday season.

Merry Christmas,
Philip

No comments: